FREE Download: Office Cleaning Checklist

Post image for FREE Download: Office Cleaning Checklist

by Tom Watson on August 24, 2012

I’m a BIG FAN of using office cleaning checklists. They keep your company focused on the task at hand, not allowing you to miss the details that make customers unhappy.

They also have the added benefit of keeping your staff accountable. If employees are required to follow an office cleaning checklist every time they clean, then there can be no excuses as to why something was missed. After all, they dated and signed it!

Customers also LOVE the fact an office cleaning checklist is being used.

Why? Because it goes to the heart of a concept called “perception”. In a nutshell, what the customer “perceives” BECOMES “reality”. This is how the process works. From the “customers eyes”, when you use a cleaning checklist it makes them feel like a “system” is being employed in their office, by you and your cleaning crew.

This means you are not just roaming around cleaning up what “looks like” needs attention, you are actually CLEANING each and every time out (because you are following the office cleaning checklist). This plants the seed that your company is different.

Making your company different from the rest is KEY TO GETTING ACCOUNTS. This is because the more you seem different, in a good way, the better off you will be, it’s as simple as that.

As you can see, a lot of very good things comes out of your use of a checklist. Needless to say, I use office cleaning checklists all the time in my cleaning business. This isn’t just a technique for a newcomer, it’s for the seasoned pro too.

The office cleaning checklists are available below. Keep in mind that there is no one size fits all approach to creating one. Every job has nuances that require a little customization in the form.

I’ve made two different versions of the checklist available. The first one is in PDF Format. It’s perfect for those of you who can use the checklist “as is”. The second checklist version is in OpenOffice Format, and is easily edited if you have the OpenOffice program.

Download Office Cleaning Checklist In PDF Format

Download9272 downloads

Download Office Cleaning Checklist In OpenOffice Format

Download4740 downloads

Office Cleaning Checklist Suggestions?

If any of you out there have suggestions of any kind for the checklists, please make them known in the comments section below. I would love to hear what you have to say!

If you liked this post, you can subscribe to our RSS feed. If you are looking for a blueprint that will show you how to start a cleaning business, then check out my Cleaning Business Start Up Guides. If you are badly in need of a first class website then take a look at my Cleaning Business Websites.

1 Susan August 25, 2012 at 11:38 am

Love this idea and will modify it to meet my company’s needs. Thanks so much! I would make a couple of suggestions:

*I have discussed with my clients how important it is to clean door handles particularly in the bathrooms. Each week I include the door handles and areas around the door handle in my cleaning regimen.

*On the Kitchen list, I would also add a monthly clean of the refrigerator and a weekly clean of the microwave. I send an email reminder to my contact at each office reminding them that on the following weekend we will be cleaning out the refrigerator. I remind them that any open containers will be disposed of. Busy employees forget to remove lunch leftovers from the frig until we remind them. I have only had to give the refrigerator 1 sanitary cleaning and all the rest have pretty much been touch ups as employees are no longer leaving food and messes behind.

Hope that helps!

2 Tom Watson August 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Hi Susan!

I LOVE the idea of addressing the cleaning of the bathroom door knobs and surrounding door area! Mentioning that little tidbit when meeting the customer who you KNOW IS A GERMAPHOBE would be a BIG WINNER with them (not to mention most everyone else).

The fridge idea is good too. I like the weekly email reminder part (it provides VALUE). I’m happy to hear you like the office cleaning checklist and thanks for the comment Susan, we appreciate it!

3 Singh August 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

Very informative blog, keep up the good work..
Thanks

4 Tom Watson August 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thanks!

5 Vici November 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Thank you for this useful information. I have just been laid off from a custodial job after 22 years and thinking about starting a cleaning service. I love the checklist. The only thing that I would add is to vacuum the edges by doors when vacuuming behind them. Dust collects right at the edges by the hinges.

6 Tom Watson November 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm

HI Vici!

Thanks for stopping in and sorry to hear about the job. I’ve been there, I know. Anyway… you have a VERY good suggestion (that is a pet peeve of mine too).

7 Ralph December 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Office cleaning checklists! Who would have thought!

Good not only for keeping your employees on track, but they build confidence in your customer as well!

As Tom said, germaphobes will LOVE the checklist. Thank you for the article!

8 Vivian January 11, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I’d like to thank you so much for everything you posted on this website. You have no idea how you have helped me.
the idea about the office checklist is great. Thanks again.

9 Tom Watson January 11, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Hi Vivian! I’m VERY happy to hear you are making use of the info. I love hearing that.

10 Tom Watson January 11, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Hey Ralph! Can’t believe I missed your comment, please forgive me for that (I get back to EVERYONE). Anyway…Thanks Ralph!

11 Joung June 30, 2013 at 7:22 pm

HI Tom,
While reading your blogs, you used a ‘VCT’ quite offen.
what does it mean?
Thanks

12 Tom Watson June 30, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Hi Joung! VCT stands for Vinyl Composition Tile. It’s a finished flooring material used primarily in commercial and institutional applications. For instance, when you go to a doctor and you sit in the little room waiting for the doc to come in… that is VCT (flooring tile) on the floor. They use it because it’s indestructible.

13 Visit to Get the Superb Office Cleaning Services December 25, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I think if the cleaners follow these checklists, they will not miss anything about cleaning in their cleaning profession.

14 Tom Watson December 26, 2013 at 8:53 am

I agree. Thanks for commenting!