Post image for Renting a Rug Doctor. An affordable option for those looking to clean carpet and upholstery

by Tom Watson on September 4, 2016

For those of you looking to get into carpet and upholstery cleaning, renting a machine may be an option for those on a tight budget.

The Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 can be rented for less than $30 (solutions are additional) in some locations, making it a budget friendly choice if you want to clean a house full of carpet.

I priced renting the Rug Doctor at a location near me and the pricing worked like this: It was $29.99 to rent the carpet cleaning unit itself. If you wanted the stair tool, which doubled as the upholstery tool, then that added an extra $4.99.

The rental was good for 24 hours. If you wanted an extra day that was $10 more. You also needed the cleaning solution that gets added to the unit and that was $18.99. This brought the total cost to between $48.98 to $63.97 depending upon what your needs were.

That’s not too bad considering you can easily charge several hundred bucks to clean a house full of carpet. Adding in the stairs or any upholstery will up the price even more. I’ve had jobs over $1000 in a residential environment. So I know it can be done. And if I can, YOU CAN too.

The Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 (with pet package) available for purchase over at Amazon for those who want to own a new unit instead of renting one that may be kind of beat up looking. The Rug Doctor X3 costs less than $400, which isn’t a bad price for a unit with such good reviews (nearly a 5 star rating with over 400 plus reviews).

Renting a Rug Doctor may not be the perfect choice for everyone out there, but for those new to the carpet cleaning industry it allows you an affordable option for getting your feet wet cleaning carpet and upholstery. If you decide to get one, let me know what you think!

If you liked this post, you can subscribe to our Cleaning 4 Profit RSS feed. If you are looking for a step by step blueprint that will show you how to start your own cleaning business, then check out my Cleaning Business Training Manuals. If you need a great website or would like to upgrade what you already have then you may want to take a look at my Cleaning Business Website Packages.

Please note: I may be an affiliate for products that I recommend. If you purchase any items through my links odds are I’ll earn a commission of some kind. I only recommend products and services that I have used or think may be useful to those starting or operating a cleaning business.

1 Cynthia Thomas September 4, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Do you need a certification for cleaning carpets?
I live in Ct. And I’m not finding anything on line.

2 Tom Watson September 6, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Hi! No you don’t. Down the road you can get certified by the IICRC if you like (it’s not needed but it is a good idea because you’ll learn the best ways to clean carpet AND it allows you to promote yourself as a “Certified Firm”).

To learn about the IICRC : http://www.iicrc.org/carpet-cleaning-certification-t-2.html

To learn about training classes: http://www.jondon.com/how-to/seminars/carpet-upholstery-cleaning-seminars.html

3 Cynthia Thomas September 6, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Thank you! I’m taking your advice from last October to promote yourself through real estate agents. My daughter and I have mad small baskets and are going to start passing them around soon..I thought that was a wonderful idea!

4 Tom Watson September 7, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Cynthia! Stick with it… it works very well.

5 ian September 8, 2016 at 12:37 pm

I own a Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 which I use for my business of cleaning carpets, it works like a dream

6 Tom Watson September 8, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Hi Ian! THANKS for sharing that. Did you buy it new or get it used?

7 ian September 8, 2016 at 1:03 pm

bought my rug doctor brand new here in the UK cost me about £450 pounds sterling still looking for customers, although I have a few

8 ian September 8, 2016 at 1:08 pm

I could do with a professional sales letter I can personalize and send to estate agents / letting agents, but money is tight, having spent money in newspapers and magazine adverts only bringing in one or two customers, not enough to pay for the adverts. there is probably money to be made cleaning carpets in rented properties before and after tenants have moved in/out.

but I don’t have the ability or money to produce a sales letter which will bring me money in from new customers,
I have done leaflet/flyer drops with discounts and got a couple of customers, but still need more money and more customers, any free help in producing a professional sales letter would be appreciated

9 Tom Watson September 8, 2016 at 1:09 pm

OK… on a side note, When I started offering carpet cleaning, I sent out a letter to all existing janitorial/house cleaning customers that I offered this new service and was offering 20% off too all my current customers and their friends and family. Got a few jobs that way.

10 Tom Watson September 8, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Let me see what I have… I’ll get back to you via email.