Marketing your cleaning services to different industries can pay off…

Post image for Marketing your cleaning services to different industries can pay off…

by Tom Watson on January 18, 2015

Back when I first started my cleaning business I was always looking to “compartmentalize” my efforts to get new customers.

For instance I would target real estate offices in one mailing, doctors in another (broken down by specialty) and so on.

But after a while I had to look for other avenues to market to. I needed to broaden my horizons in a sense. So I started sending my sales letters and flyers to all types of businesses. As I mentioned before, I even marketed to cemetaries. It may seem a little creepy, but hey, some of them have an office!

Anyway… today I wanted to share a few of the other markets I mailed to and had success with. In a sense, the spirit of this post is “you never know until you try”. So here is a very small sampling of some the different cleaning accounts I landed by just sticking some info in an envelope and dropping it in the mailbox.

Chemical Companies – I don’t remember how many of these were listed when I checked, but it’s very likely there was only a few. So whatever it was, maybe 3 or 4 companies, I sent out some info to. Low and behold… I get a call from a chemical company a few weeks later! It wasn’t a big job by any means. I think it was like $225.00 a month or so, but “money is money” as they say.

Trucking companies – There are a lot of these around my area, so I mailed to them. I didn’t do all that bad on this as I landed two accounts. Both were about $250.00 per month. One account will more than pay for the cost of the mailing, so I consider this particular mailing a success. Again… this mailing wasn’t going to buy me a yacht, but when you are new every buck counts.

Labs – I don’t remember how many of these were located in my area, but it’s safe to say there aren’t too many. I would guess maybe like fifty or so, if you count all the different types of labs out there (from medical to industrial). Though I only landed one, this one paid off big. It was a lab where they tested industrial instruments to make sure they were working properly. Over $23,000 in revenue (and TONS of profit) in just over two years.

The moral here is “don’t limit yourself” once you start trying to get more accounts, as you never know until you try. Though the bulk of my accounts fell into only several primary industries, I was always looking for more and more markets to mail to. I’ll wrap this up by asking YOU… What are some off the different type accounts you landed by just thinking different? Leave your comments below!

1 Chad Millar January 18, 2015 at 11:30 am

How you ever looked into property management? I have a few condo complexes and they asked if i would be interested in managing them.

2 Tom Watson January 19, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Hi Chad! GREAT point. I didn’t mention that in this post, but I have written about that in the past.

3 Wandel January 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I Landed a nice size account with a construction company to perform the final cleaning of a new mall/shopping Centre. I was able to earn $19,440.00 for the 2 days of work. I would love to get condos and apartments which is steady work but I’m having a hard time breaking into that. Post construction cleaning seems to be easier for me to get contracts. Right now I’m trying to wrap my brain around trying to land more regular contracts. I currently have an insurance company (1 office), a small tutoring center, and a law office. These contracts barely pay the bills causing me to downsize and I’ve just started a few months ago.

4 Tom Watson January 21, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Hi Wandel! If construction clean up is easier for you, focus on that. Apartments are best marketed to using a sales letter and business card tucked into the letter. That’s all I ever did, just mailed to EVERY SINGLE complex near me.

5 Terry Clark January 22, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Tom,

How long should I wait before I send out round 2 of my mail marketing to the companies that didn’t respond to round 1? Is 1 month appropriate?

6 Tom Watson January 23, 2015 at 11:25 am

Hi Terry! There is no real set time frame, but one month sounds good (that is about what I did).

7 vicky February 7, 2015 at 4:03 pm

I just want to say thank you so much, for all this great info.

8 Tom Watson February 8, 2015 at 8:22 am

Hi Vicky! THANKS… I appreciate that.

9 Eric February 8, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Hi
Tom

Will you be doing a post about how to market on craiglist.

10 Tom Watson February 9, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Hi Eric! I may revisit that, but I did a post a while back that may interest you… http://www.cleaning-4-profit.com/2010/11/14/advertising-your-cleaning-business-on-craigslist/

11 nichelle March 3, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Hi what Iam doing wrong I send out post card mailing thru the post offices and I get no calls!! Please help business has gone down. Trying to think of new marketing ideas. Business was going great and now its a stand still

12 Tom Watson March 14, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Hi! Missed the comment, sorry about that. Send me the an email with the postcard attached. Let me look at it. PLUS how many have you sent?

13 NICHELLE March 14, 2015 at 6:59 pm

I need your email mine is hilton_cleaning_serv@hotmail.com

14 Tom Watson March 14, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Just head over to the contact page and send me an email… http://www.cleaning-4-profit.com/contact-cleaning-4-profit/

15 H.P. May 17, 2016 at 4:49 pm

I came across this one by mistake.This was very helpful though….Thanks!