List of the supplies you’ll need to get started

Post image for List of the supplies you’ll need to get started

by Tom Watson on January 23, 2013

One of the nice things about starting a cleaning business is that you don’t need to purchase a lot of supplies to get started. In most cases everything you need can fit in just about any vehicle.

This is because the vast majority of jobs you will land in the beginning stages of your business will be of the smaller variety, allowing for a minimal amount of supplies that will be needed.

When I started my cleaning business I didn’t have a large car, so I had to make do with my trusty Ford Probe. For those of you who don’t know, that particular car is on the small side. It was a two door with a hatchback, and it worked just fine.

When you first start out, you may have only one set of supplies that you cart around from job to job. As you grow, and bring in more money, you can purchase more supplies. For instance I only had one set of supplies until I landed four or five accounts, and I moved them from job to job.

That works fine on the house cleaning side of the business, as you’ll generally never keep your supplies at someone’s home. In fact some homeowners want you to use their cleaning supplies, as they prefer to use their favorite solutions.

But once you start collecting commercial cleaning accounts, if you go that route, you’ll soon get tired of that setup. It will work at accounts you only clean once a week, or every two weeks for that matter. However once you start going several nights per week to the same account you might as well keep everything on location.

Getting back to what you need as far as supplies go, the list I’ll provide below will cover the majority of accounts you will run into when you first get started. Just keep in mind that you may need to adjust your supply list depending on what type of accounts you land early on.

Supplies to start cleaning business

• White cloth rags
  • Furniture polish
  • Soft Scrub product for sinks
  • SOS pads
  • Feather duster
  • High duster
  • Vacuum cleaner with attachments
  • Caddy with handle to keep your supplies in

One thing to keep in mind is that you really don’t want to purchase any supplies until you land an account. If you think about it, it makes sense. Why spend a dime BEFORE you even land an account? Generally, any money spent in the beginning of your cleaning business should be focused only on landing accounts.

As to where to purchase the supplies, that is up to you. In the beginning I either went to a local store or checked online to find what I needed. The best case scenario is for you to find a local cleaning or janitorial supplier you can actually visit. This allows you to build a relationship with someone who can help guide you as you grow your business.

If you want to go the online route, then you may want to check out a company called ReStockIt as they offer a ton of discount cleaning supplies all under one roof. Just remember to stick to only what you need when first getting started, as there is no use buying supplies that will just sit un-used.

If you liked this post, you can subscribe to our Cleaning 4 Profit RSS feed. If you are looking for a step by step blueprint that will show you how to start your own cleaning business, then check out my Cleaning Business Training Manuals. If you need a great website or would like to upgrade what you already have then you may want to take a look at my Cleaning Business Website Packages.

DISCLOSURE: I may be an affiliate for products that I recommend. If you purchase any items through my links odds are I’ll earn a commission of some kind. I only recommend products and services that I have used or think may be useful to those starting or operating a cleaning business.

1 Francisco Blanco January 23, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Nice car Tom ford probe :-), also grate post

2 Tom Watson January 23, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Hi Francisco! Thanks for commenting.

3 Mary January 23, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Great information!! Thanks!

4 Tom Watson January 23, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Thanks Mary!

5 Adeboye Messach January 24, 2013 at 2:32 am

Thanks for your advice on cleaning supplies. God shall bless you also.

6 Tom Watson January 24, 2013 at 8:00 am

Hi Adeboye! I’m happy to help.

7 Eddy January 31, 2013 at 5:02 am

Nice post! Starting a cleaning business is a little bit difficult in the beginning. Your posts are very helpful Tom! I’m sure many people who want to start with this kind of business will surely benefit from this blog.

8 Tom Watson January 31, 2013 at 6:02 am

Hi Eddy! Thanks, for the nice comment (and I’m happy to help).

9 Maid Service Austin February 4, 2013 at 1:12 am

Thanks for the list Tom. A rubber carpet brush is also on my list. If your vacuum has trouble pulling off long hair (human) near the baseboards, a quick brush-over and it’s up.

10 Tom Watson February 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hey, no problem and thanks for that tip!

11 Joi March 17, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Hi Tom! I’m having trouble finding effective cleaners to remove heavy duty grease build-up on stainless steel stove tops & heavy duty lime scale from glass shower doors that are not too toxic and require minimal elbow grease (time is money). I’ve tried several but not in love yet. Any suggestions? Thanks. BTW-Love your podcasts

12 Tom Watson March 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Hi Joi!

I made a call to my vendor to see what he thinks. I never had to deal with the stainless issue. The lime scale isn’t really an issue for us as much because we do much more commercial work nowadays. As soon as he gets back to us, I’ll touch base (he’s a wonder BUT he only is a local guy and doesn’t sell nationally).

13 Joi March 18, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Thanks Tom. I appreciate it!

14 Steve March 27, 2013 at 6:02 pm

hi tom great info on everything.me and my wife are greatful.thank you tom!

15 Tom Watson March 27, 2013 at 7:59 pm

No problem Steve! Glad to help.

16 LAD April 16, 2013 at 10:50 am

Hi Tom, There is a lot of hype out there about micro-fiber cleaning clothes. What is your opinion on them?

Thanks,
LAD

17 Tom Watson April 17, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Hi! We have some but never used them all that much (I guess that says a lot there). At the end of the day it really depends on what you are comfortable with. We use a lot of paper towels and some low lint cloth rags. With that said I see nothing wrong with them.

18 LAD April 23, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Tom. I appreciate your opinion!

19 Tom Watson April 23, 2013 at 10:46 pm

You are very welcome!

20 Deborah Dills September 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Great post. Some additions to the supply list as I worked for a house cleaning company.

* Scrubbing Bubbles works great for cleaning the bathroom-top to bottom. Also great for disinfecting countertops, wiping refrigerators,de-greasing blinds, stove overheads, etc

*Oven cleaner is a must, along with having razor blades to scrape off burnt food.

*Vinegar is a useful cleaner and is environmentally friendly. (Grandma used this often). Use for floors

*Using color-coded Micro Fiber cloths-Blue for Baths, Green for Kitchen, Orange or Yellow for dusting. Try this. Note: Do not wash these cloths with towels as they with get pills from the cotton fibers

*Goo-Gone is a fabulous way to get stuck-on labels, tags, glue, and grease residue off of anything.
*Happy cleaning

21 Tom Watson September 2, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Hi Deborah! Thanks for adding to the list!! (the Goo Gone is a GREAT extra to have on-hand).

22 Taylor Maid September 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

Thanks Tom,
My husband and I are just starting our homebased services. What type of insurances are necessary for a small cleaning service business?

23 Tom Watson September 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Hi!

Generally speaking you’ll need GL Insurance (General Liability Insurance). In some cases you’ll need Workman’s Comp insurance as well (you certainly will if you hire employees). My advice is just type in “general liability insurance” PLUS your ZIP CODE into Google to find agents near you.

THEN I would “interview them” (visit 2 or 3) to both educate yourself on the topic plus get a feel for who you feel comfortable with. Hire the one you feel like is serving you best. Remember, they work for YOU.

FYI… The GL insurance is tied to your business income, the less you have the less it costs (so it isn’t all that much when you start, so don’t worry). The Workman’s Comp works the same way. This way it grows (and gets more expensive) as your business gets bigger.

24 Christina Pomatto September 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hi! Thank you so much for the info!! I am a single mother of three and looking to open a cleaning company and had no idea where to start! I go online and do research and they are all different. You deff helped allot :) Christina

25 Tom Watson September 26, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Hi Christina! You are VERY welcome. I’ll be here if you need me!

26 Kim December 12, 2013 at 5:45 am

I was wondering should I get the clients first, then look for employees. If so how do I tell the client I have to Hire someone first before they can clean there house or Business? Thanks,

27 Tom Watson December 12, 2013 at 8:13 am

Hi Kim! You get customers first, THEN hire people. How? Tell them you can’t start for a week or two because of scheduling issues (which gives you time to hire someone). If they can’t wait (generally they can) then you go do the cleaning yourself until whomever you hire can take over.

28 Eddie January 10, 2014 at 9:47 pm

How you go about writing contracts or agreements. Need help with some ideas.

29 Tom Watson January 12, 2014 at 8:33 am
30 rashad April 14, 2014 at 8:52 pm

This is a great well of aid to me. I just registered my cleaning and waste management company in Ghana. I am happy for the info. Bless u

31 Tom Watson April 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Hi Rashad! I’m happy to hear that. If you need anything, just contact me!

32 Jacynthia October 22, 2014 at 4:51 am

This is great information. I appreciate you taking the time to share. I’m doing research with hopes of starting up soon. Thanks again.

33 Tom Watson October 23, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hi Jacyntia! Touch base when you need us!

34 Mike November 22, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Thank you Tom, I have looked over your material along with the comments and have found them helpful… We are based out of Detroit Michigan, what way do you approach your potential clients, and with what material…

35 Tom Watson November 23, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Hi Mike! Direct mail was my personal favorite. We also did lots of smaller type stuff, but mailing letters to our target market was my bread and butter technique.