FREE DOWNLOAD: Sales letter and flyer combo for landing apartment complexes

Post image for FREE DOWNLOAD: Sales letter and flyer combo for landing apartment complexes

by Tom Watson on September 15, 2013

In order to get your foot in the door with apartment managers you need some type of “hook”. Some drop off business cards and others drop off flyers. I was always fond of sales letters.

The vast majority of times I would simply mail my sales letter to all the apartment managers within a certain geographic area. I normally included a sales flyer of some kind to go with the sales letter (the flyer would just “summarize” the letter then add a “call to action”).

In this post I’ll do a bit of a change-up and combine the two elements into one. While a sales letter can be just about anything you want it to be, it is generally just a letter constructed to generate interest in your service. It’s simple and to the point THEN it asks them to contact you.

In todays’ example I added a postscript (the P.S. you see at the end of many letters). This way it’s only two pages (and not the three I normally use). So what this boils down to is a classic two page sales letter that hopes to “speak the language” of those you send it to.

When sending this letter out I would include your business card in the envelope when mailing it. Just drop one into each letter when you stuff the envelope. Keep in mind that you’ll want to send a whole bunch of these sales letters out.

Sending one or two isn’t going to cut it generally. Sure you might get lucky and get a call right off the bat, but odds are that such a small sample size won’t get much of a response.

If you were going to use this letter I would recommend you send this out to every single complex within your service area. If that was ten places, then hit them all. Odds are there are many more than that once you dig in and start searching for all the apartment complexes near you.

When sending them out, it’s a good practice to address them to the “Office Manager” (on the envelope itself). I can’t really offer any proof as to why I feel that’s a good idea, other than that’s your intended market and that’s what I used to do. At the end of the day the office manager is the one who makes the decision to hire cleaning companies.

As I usually recommend, hand addressing the envelopes is my favorite approach. While many people think mailing labels are the way to go, when you do that you “show your hand” in a sense. This signifies your letter is a solicitation and may result in your letter getting closer to the trashcan than to the office manager.

Now let’s turn our attention to the sales letter and flyer combo below. I do my best to grab the reader with a headline that spurs their interest (REMEMBER: Apartment Managers will be the intended audience). I then go on about what actually motivates tenants when choosing a place to live.

I did that by finding a study online about apartment complexes, specifically how people choose one over another. This report made mention that the appearance of the common areas meant a lot to potential tenants. This same study also mentions the interior of the unit needing to be clean and well kept (it’s all about CLEAN!).

It turns out that those two factors combined to make the 48% I reference in the sales letter you find below. This angle gave me a unique hook to work with as it turns out that “how clean” an apartment community is can be tied directly to their vacancy rate. Anyway…lets take a peek at todays sales letter.

♦ Sales Letter and Flyer Combo for Apartment Complexes ♦

Apartment Cleaning Sales Letter Page 1

Below is PAGE TWO of apartment complex sales letter

Page two of my sales letter and flyer combo package for apartment mangers

I’ve made the sales letter above available in two different formats for your convenience. The first download is a standard PDF document. This is only editable if you have Adobe Acrobat. As usual the second download option is in OpenOffice format (a wonderful and free program that’s worth getting). Anyway, here you go…

Sales Letter & Flyer For Apartment Complexes – PDF VERSION

Click Here To Go To Download Page (LOOK FOR FILE #7A)

Sales Letter & Flyer For Apartment Complexes – OpenOffice VERSION

Click Here To Go To Download Page (LOOK FOR FILE #7B)

Before I wrap this up I would like to make mention that I offer no guarantee that this sales letter will work. I’ve not tested it myself in anyway whatsoever. However I do know that it has many of the elements needed to make it successful.

Needless to say you’ll need to make it work for your given situation by tweaking it as needed to make it fit your goals and objectives. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments! Just add one below to get started!

If you liked this post, you can subscribe to our Cleaning 4 Profit RSS feed. If you are looking for a step by step blueprint that will show you how to start your own cleaning business, then check out my Cleaning Business Training Manuals. If you need a great website or would like to upgrade what you already have then you may want to take a look at my Cleaning Business Website Packages.

1 francisco September 15, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Tom you are truly a cleaning GURU!

2 Tom Watson September 15, 2013 at 8:23 pm

You are way too kind! But thanks just the same!

3 chris hopewell September 15, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Thanks Tom, I have been working on a flyer and just could not get it right, but thanks to your kindness, you have help me and countless others. I will try your letter and let you know if it works. One more thing can this be use for office cleaning too? again thanks.

4 carmella September 16, 2013 at 12:16 am

WOW
Just what I had in mind minutes before receiving your email. A Blessing for me. I have been created my own sales pitch and marketing sales for a week but kept on getting stuck.
I believe that your suggestion will work. I will let you know.
Greatly appreciate your time to help those of us who are in the business.
Sincerely
Carmella

5 Median Ohio house and office cleaning service September 16, 2013 at 12:17 am

The information that is offered on this site is a solid foundation for any up and coming or established cleaning service.
Thanks, Jim
Medina Ohio home and office cleaning service

6 maggie September 16, 2013 at 2:32 am

Great things from you Tom always….many thanks.

7 James Stevenson September 16, 2013 at 2:36 am

Thank you Tom, having recently found your website I am truly amazed at the wealth of information you have provided. I feel you are going a long way towards helping people start (or expand) their own cleaning companies and in demystifying the process, guiding them away from high-cost franchises.

I’m working my way through your posts and mp3s and find nuggets of wisdom everywhere.

Thanks

James

8 Tom Watson September 16, 2013 at 11:24 am

Hi Chris! I’m happy to be able to help. Yes, try it out and see what happens (then report back to let us know). As to the second questions… I don’t think this letter would work for offices at all. It is written exclusively for office managers of apartment complexes. I’ll add others down the road that will be of help!

9 Tom Watson September 16, 2013 at 11:26 am

Hi Carmella! This came out just in time for you (I’m happy for that!). Anyway… YES, please report back so we can all learn how well things performed.

10 Tom Watson September 16, 2013 at 11:31 am

“THANKS” Jim!

11 Tom Watson September 16, 2013 at 11:32 am

Hi Maggie! I’m happy to help and thanks for commenting.

12 Tom Watson September 16, 2013 at 11:38 am

Hi James! I’m happy you have found us, and feel free to touch base as needed. And YES, I firmly believe that a franchise is the WRONG approach (for the VAST majority of those who want to start a cleaning business). I simply don’t think this business is so hard that you need to give a franchise THOUSANDS of dollars (plus a big percentage of ALL future earnings) to teach you what you need to know. While education is needed (without a doubt), it should not be excessively expensive.

13 Nichelle October 21, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Hi tom great website!! I love it I’ve been in cleaning business for a year and the only way I get customers if I go door to door and put up flyers! Do you have another way of marketing I have a website and I’m on manta, yelp and other site that’s out there! Should I pay for google to have my company on their first page to advertise

14 Tom Watson October 21, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Hi Nichelle! I’m happy you like the site. Anyway… my latest post on working with real estate agents (http://www.cleaning-4-profit.com/2013/10/20/10-reasons-why-real-estate-offices-are-goldmines/) would be a GREAT start as an alternative marketing approach.

As far as paying to be on the first page of Google… NO WAY… there are much better ways to get the word out. Stay away (as far as possible) from those who want to take your money to get you on page one.

People who promote that service leave out the fact that even if they do get you on page one, it will cost a TON to get there in most cases. Plus, once you are there, you need a HIGHLY TUNED website that can convert those leads to sales. A page one ranking and a poorly designed site lead to a large waste of cash.

15 Kerry de-Zille October 25, 2013 at 9:07 pm

You are GOLD! We have just landed our first apartment complex purely by chance, a real-estate company that we have done a couple of cleans for recommended us and i was just researching how to about getting more and first thing i see is your flyer when listening to your 80/20 podcast–Perfect!
we have started our business with your help , Thank you

16 Tom Watson October 25, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Hi Kerry! I’m VERY happy to hear about the success you are having. Keep doing what you are doing as you are getting results. Set aside part of what you earn so you can do MORE of the marketing and promotion that is working for you.

17 Helio Tavares March 2, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I was looking all over the net for a sample letter like this one and bang, just came across this one. Excellent, would you have samples for other than property managers, say, small business owners with a small office.

Cheers

18 Tom Watson March 3, 2014 at 8:20 am
19 Charmaine Irving March 20, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Yet again Tom, here you are being amazing and tremendously helpful! Great ideas to help me get going on my sales letters!

20 Tom Watson March 20, 2014 at 6:45 pm

THANKS Charmaine!

21 Tijuan Cash May 18, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Thanks so much for the information and sales letter. I know it will be useful! I wanted to ask you how do you charge the apartment complex or how do you give an estimate? I wouldn’t want to over bid or under bid. I’m just curious because I really want to get the ball rolling.

22 Tom Watson May 19, 2014 at 10:48 am

Hi Tijuan! I’m happy to help. As to the bidding part, that is in my courses. I have an entire chapter dedicated to it. It’s not that it’s really all that hard, because it’s not, but the how to part is just way to big to describe in an email or paragraph.

23 Ron May 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Hi Tom, This is a really great sales letter and although I am not a manager of a apartment complex it got my attention to want to call your cleaning company!
Thanks Tom for all your advice in having a sucessful cleaning business.

24 Tom Watson May 19, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Hi Ron! I’m are very happy to be able to share what I know. I certainly don’t know everything, but I’ve been around long enough to know a little about a lot of topics. Anyway… THANKS for the kind words.

25 David Jenkins {Diamond Glo Cleaning} November 23, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I am making proposals to apartment communities the offer of after every 30 units , I will clean 5 free as long as I have their business . Do you think its a good or bad offer?

26 Tom Watson November 23, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Hi David! I would not work for free. You need to break even at the very least on the turnovers, then turn a nice profit on the common areas.

27 Mike D. February 5, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I own a cleaning company and would like to target offices and apartment complexes. Would it be possible to purchase just the sample sales letter and flyer for direct mail. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

28 Tom Watson February 5, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Hi Mike! I’m not sure I understand. You can download them for free from this page. Or are you talking about some other sales letter and flyer?

29 krista April 6, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Where did you get those statistics from? Just curious to have validation if it’s asked to me. Dont want to say learned it on a blog lol

30 Tom Watson April 6, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Hi Krista! I will have to see if I can find it again. I’m always looking for “case studies” of different sorts. Though they are incredibly boring to the vast majority of the population, they interest me for some odd reason. I’ll look into it!

31 krista April 7, 2015 at 10:34 am

Thanks! Facts are never boring to me lol I’ve did a brief Google search but didn’t find anything. I was thinking of adding in the letter quotes on apartment reviews in the local area of complaints and explain what the top complaints are in the area. Than word it properly on why they don’t want to be like them and how company can solve those problems. What do you think?

32 Tom Watson April 8, 2015 at 10:58 am

I’m not sure those companies actually read those, so I don’t think that would work. I think a good sales letter and a business card sent out to every apartment complex near you would work wonders. Even a bad sales letter would probably make your phone ring.

33 Christina January 20, 2016 at 11:18 am

Hello!!

I’m just getting started and this was a perfect letter for me to send out! Hopefully I’ll get a few leads!!!

Thank you for the info!

34 Joy May 26, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Hello Tom,
Do you have any suggestions on what i need to charge for a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, three bedroom or even four bedroom?

35 Tom Watson May 29, 2016 at 10:14 am
36 David Tynan November 15, 2016 at 10:18 am

Thanks for the great Tips Tom. Just the direction we have been looking for.

David

37 Steven Lovejoy April 1, 2017 at 7:42 am

Quick question Tom. I was planning on making my first marketing push towards the top realtors in my area and then maybe some other offices and businesses. I WAS just going to bring some flyers and cards and possibly some donuts. Should I make a sales letter for these types of potential clients before I visit?

38 Tom Watson April 1, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Hi Steven! You could make a sales letter, but flyers and business cards will do just fine.

39 Steven Lovejoy April 1, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Thanks a lot. I ahve found all of this extremely motivating and educational. Not sure why you decided to offer all this information, but I feel appreciate it immensely.